There are many reasons for starting a home-based business.Some people start a home-based business for economical reasons; to earn a little extra cash for themselves. Some people turn their hobby into a profitable home-based business. With the popularity of the internet, new home-based businesses are popping up everyday. Whatever reason you may have for starting a home-based business you must make it profitable and enjoyable to be successful.
Let’s examine some of the ways your new business can be profitable,and thus a source of enjoyment.
Many new businesses fail because they don’t know whom to target there product or services. A little market research is all it takes to find out just who your customers will be. You can use the internet and a simple email campaign to ask “survey” like questions of consumers. Once you have established your client base for your product or service you need to create a business plan.
A business plan is your step by step plan of action for getting your product or service to your consumers. It acts as a “blueprint” for how you will operate your home-based business. Lay everything out on paper to see exactly how you will run your business. Too many people get excited about their new venture and find out that they may be in over their heads. A detailed business plan should eliminate such issues.
An example of a well rounded business plan should include the following:
1) Initial start-up costs if any. How much of an investment will you need to start your business?
2) Costs of doing business. This should include any promotion or production cost involved.
3) Budget. It is important that you make a budget and stick to it. Budget for your advertising/production needs on a weekly/monthly basis.
4) Advertising Plan. Decide how you would like to advertise your business. A mix of free and paid advertising is a good way to get the word out about your product or service.
5) Time Management. You have to decide how much time to allocate towards building your home-based business. There are a lot of different factors involved in this process. Such as, if you work a fulltime job, or if you have children or family issues, that may play a part in how much time you can spend on your business.
6) Goals Setting. You should have a number of short and long term goals. Ask yourself what you would like to achieve with your business. You can make your goals into intervals of 3 months, 6 months, 1 year etc.
Once you have your business plan laid out, you can start putting your plan into action. Please note that any profit you make during the initial stages of your business launch should be put back into the business, to help it grow to where you want it to be. (see goals)
Finally, in order to be profitable with your home-based business you must understand customer service! You will need to help and guide your customers, take complaints seriously and stay in contact with them. Try to answer questions quickly and politely. Keep in contact with customers a couple of times a month so you can establish trust and loyalty. If they have used your product or service before and felt they where treated very well, then you have increased your chances of repeat business.
Satisfied customers are always great for advertising as well. Word of mouth travels and you can solicit testimonials from satisfied customers to use in your promotions.
Copyright 2004 Dirk Wagner
Dirk Wagner publishes Home Business Tips, a fresh and informative newsletter dedicated to supporting people like YOU! If you`re looking for the *best rated* home business opportunities, the latest time saving tools and helpful support from a honest friend in the business, come by and grab a F-R-E-E subscription today at: http://www.team4success.biz or send a blank mail to email@example.com
My name is Dirk Wagner. I was born in Cologne, Germany in 1970. I graduated from high school in 1990. Since 6 years I´m working in computer business and about 2 years specially in internet marketing. My mentor Stone Evans teached me to get success.