|It's startling to discover how having kids changes the way you see the world. Just compare your "before kids" vs. "after kids" views on what counts as:|
* A good place to live.
* A desirable car.
* An excellent restaurant.
* A great evening.
* Your ideal or "plum" job.
Give that "plum" job a closer look. Back in school, you may have dreamed of a job that offered intellectual challenge, travel, or a chance to use your talents to make a difference in the world.
Once you start a family, your "plum" job can look more like a lemon!
Life is infinitely more complex now. Family demands can magnify drawbacks that used to be inconsequential. Challenges that seemed thrilling at an earlier stage of your life may be daunting now.
It may be time to update your vision of your "plum." You can start by asking:
1. What talents do you want to offer the world through your job?
2. What do you enjoy?
3. How much income do you need to feel you are being fairly compensated?
4. How much flexibility do you want in your schedule?
5. How much mental and emotional energy do you want to have left after your paid work is done?
6. How often and for how long do you want to travel out of town?
7. How far are you willing to commute?
8. Is there an upper limit to how many hours you are willing to work per day? Per week?
9. How often are you willing to relocate?
10. How much of the time do you want to work from home?
Are you already holding your "plum"? If not, keep your new vision in front of you. What steps can you take today to put your updated "plum" within reach?
(c) 2004 Norma Schmidt, Coach, LLC
About the Author
Norma Schmidt, Coach, LLC specializes in helping women who are both professionals and parents to find work that works. She edits "The Balance Point," a free bi-weekly e-zine. Visit http://www.NormaSchmidt.com.
Dating Advice: Common Ground Yields Happy Marriages
How often do your married friends complain about husbands who spend weekends on the couch watching games? Did they not notice these guys were sports fanatics while they were dating? Did they think things would change after the wedding? Life is...
Online Dating – A Great Way to Meet your Soul Mate
Online Dating or Internet Dating is very well known these days and it is becoming more and more popular because of its convenience and advantages. The first and foremost advantage is that you can contact matches without your real identity revealed...
Communication in Dating
Does your dating relationship have good communication? Communication during dating is what will eventually make or break the dating relationship. If you can not talk or communicate with your loved one, how will they ever know what you expect from...